La Playa Cooperative Nursery School is one of the longest-running cooperative preschools in the nation. In true cooperative form, it was created as several families gathered together in 1948, with the hope of their children learn through playing together.
Back then, parents simply referred to it as the “Green Fence School” – likely named after the green fence in front of the home where the children would attend. In those early years, the school became nomadic, hosting the children at different locations. Soon after, the families would take on the name “La Playa,” likely in reference to both the beach nearby and the “PLAY” that took precedence as the children’s form of learning.
In 1953, La Playa parent, Phoebe Kalionzes, made arrangements with Culver City for the school to meet regularly at the “Stone House” in Lindberg Park. More than 70 years later, the school still meets there today.
The school incorporated in 1956 as a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. La Playa holds a strong history in community involvement and helping others, particularly children and their loved ones.
The school is a certified member of the Los Angeles Chapter of the California Council of Parent Participation Nursery Schools.